Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Body Image versus Reality

Over two years ago I developed a college course focusing on women's issues covering topics such body image and self esteem. 

I created a course packet with readings ranging from eating disorders to plastic surgery.  In addition to assigning reading material along with lecturing and showing films, I scheduled several guests speakers to share their personal experiences of having gone under the knife to those who battled with eating disorders.


My body image course has proven to be popular each semester but there are limitations and the class is not meant to be based on feelings and emotions, and I have to grade students.  I had a few Oprah and Dr. Phil moments when I wanted to reach out to students because I knew that they wanted more than information about body image but also needed coaching and more guidance using all of infomation that they had learned in my class.  
In response to this issue, I created SwagHER Fitness combining my research, body image teaching experience, my fitness expertise, and my passion and activism to help empowHER women.

In order to get an understanding of body image, view the video Body Image versus Reality

After viewing: 
Define body image.
In your opinion, what effects body image?
Now think about your body image, evaluate your body image on a scale of 1-10 (one being the lowest and ten the highest).  Discuss your evaluation of yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment