Wednesday, December 15, 2010

WEEK ONE: Mirror Mirror on the Wall

    WHY DOES BODY IMAGE MATTER?
    Body image is defined as how you perceive your appearance.  It also can be a perception of how you feel others perceive your body.  In addition to your appearance, body image is also about your beliefs, thoughts, feelings, and actions that relat to your appearance.  In order to understand the meaning of body image, ask yourself the following questions about your own body image.
    1. Are there aspects oof your physical appearance that you really hate?
    2. Do you think more about what you dislike about your looks than about what you like?
    3. Do you spend a lot of time worrying about what others think of your looks?
    4. Are your looks really important to you in determining your self-worth?
    5. Do negative thoughts about your looks keep popping up into your head and playing like a broken record?
    6. Do you avoid particular activities or  situations because you feel physically self-conscious?
    7. Do you spend a lot of time, effort, or money trying to improve your looks or to achieve physical perfection?
    8. Do you rely on clothes, cosmetics, hair products to try to cover up the "flaws" in your appearance?
    9. Do you often search for the ultimate diet, the most effective fitness program, the right clothes, or the most flattering cosmetics or hairstyle?
    10. Do your feelings about your looks get in the way of accepting yourself or enjoying your everyday life?
    11. Do you have difficulty accepting the body that you live in? 
    12. Do you have a hard time accepting compliments about your appearance?

SwagHER Body Image and Fitness Boot Camp not only helps to improve your appearance through cardio and resistance training but also gives you an attitude adjustment.

Given that it's a new year, milions of women have resoluted to lose weight or to schedule an appointment to have a cosmetic procedure such as liposuction.  These remedies offer a quick fix and may make a women feel better about their body.   Along those lines, SwagHER Fitness wants to help women look better and feel better about their bodies but ultimately to help them change their body image. 
  1. Introduce yourself (name, reason for signing up for boot camp, hobbies, New Year's Resolution, a fitness tips, and anything else that you wouldn't mind sharing)
  2. What are your expectations of SwagHER Body Image and Fitness Boot Camp?
  3. What’s your body story? Have you always loved your body, or is it something that has evolved over time?
  4. How have you learned to love your body?
  5. What was your biggest hurdle in loving your body?
  6. How has your view of your body changed over the years? Are you gentler, or harder on yourself?
  7. What makes you feel beautiful? How do you care for yourself?
  8. What do you love about your body?
  9. How is your first week going?
  10. How are you adjusting to starting boot camp at 5:30am?
  11. I've defined SwagHER Fitness as: a lifestlye to help women develop a confident body image and self esteem along with a healthy attitude about fitness and health.  In your own words what comes to mind when you hear the word "SwagHER"?

2 comments:

  1. 1. I am Erin, I have signed up for bootcamp for a few different reasons. One, I have been not taking care of myself like I used to in the past year or so. I don't really feel good physically finding myself tired and just not good. I was doing Zumba 2-3 times a week and got out of the habit this fall. I just thought this would be a great way to jump start my year and get in better shape. Some of my hobbies include: reading, amateur photography, movies, crafts and sewing( I love making things weather with materials or paint or anything really).
    2. I would say my expectations are to learn a little more about body image, to develop a routine, to learn more about women's health and body issues and to get to know some new people with a common goal.
    3. I am very short 4'8'' 1/2. I hated my height growing up. I was made fun of often. As I got older about 16 or so I started to like it a little more and to start to accept my body. I probably loved my body most so far in my early twenties. I had my first child at 24 and bounced back pretty fast, my second at 27 and not so much bounce. I am at a point where I am not completely happy with it but, I know I am not far off from my goal and I can meet it with some effort and determination.
    4. Although I may not always love my body or am not always happy with it I have learned to accept that it looks the way it does because of choices I have made and because this is what I was born with. This DNA. I love many things about my body. There are more things I love then not love.
    5. I would say my biggest hurdle is accepting that as we age our bodies do not stay the same as when we are in our early twenties. Especially after having children.
    6. I think this is a tough question, I am sometimes tougher on myself about my weight or fitting clothing but, not so tough about my other aspects.
    7. I feel beautiful when I have had a great nights sleep, my hair is not crazy, and I have very little makeup on. I also feel pretty when I am in something comfortable but, stylish. I feel good when I have just finished working out. I try to care for myself by eating right (not that I have done that a lot lately), treating myself to things like massage, manicure and pedicures, naps, new nail polish or lip gloss.
    8.I love my height, my eyes, my hands, my hair. I love my freckles. I love how my daughter looks like me, and she is a reflection of me. I love the way I carry myself most of the time.
    9. I think overall my first week is going pretty good. I was worried that I would just fail. But, I have surprised myself with what I can do and how much I actually am enjoying myself. I am looking forward to next week.
    10. It is tough but, I am going to bed earlier. I had one night I stayed up till 11 and it killed me the next day. I am not a morning person but, I am doing ok. The rush with having to leave a few minutes early and get kids and myself ready is the toughest part.
    11. SwagHER makes me think of a confident beautiful woman who is strutting her stuff down the street. She isn't a model, or an actress but, someone who is owning herself and her body with attitude and confidence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. I'm Celina and I signed up for Boot Camp, because I want 2011 to be the year I reach my goal weight. I've been doing Zumba and I love it! I just wanted that one extra thing to help me reach my goal. Since starting Zumba 1 1/2 years ago, my best friend and I have learned Salsa dancing, so we go Salsa dancing once in awhile and have a blast. I also love to read, when I have time. Most importantly, I am the mother of 2 wonderful boys, age 16 and 7.
    2. My expectations for SwagHer Boot Camp is to realize that I am not alone in hating my body and that I and others want to change that for the better.
    3-6. I have never liked/loved my body and still don't. I have been overweight my whole life and when I turned 40 I decided that I needed to make changes if I wanted to be around for my sons. I've lost about 50lbs in the last year and I'm happy with those results, but I have a ways to go to reach my goal.
    7. What makes me feel beautiful are my favorite 3 guys in the world...my husband and my 2 sons. My husband tells me I'm beautiful and sexy all the time (I don't believe him though) but I like knowing that he sees me that way. My oldest son gives me compliments and encouraging words all the time and tells me that he is proud of me. My youngest sings, "My mother is beautiful/cute!" to me daily. When I look in the mirror I wish I saw what they see in me. I'm taking better care of myself by eating better, exercising, and drinking lots of water. I'm doing this for me, but also for my sons. I want to be around to see them grow and experience life and to be a part of that for years and years to come. Their faces is what I see when I want to give up and what gives me that push to keep going.
    9. My first week went pretty good. I was a bit sore, but never felt so stiff that I couldn't move.
    10. When I worked full-time I was always adjusting my schedule to get up early, so I'm not having a problem getting up at 4:30am.
    11. SwagHER makes me think of women who have come to love their body AS IS and carry themselves with pride and confidence by dressing sexy and walking with their head high.

    ReplyDelete